[TowerTalk] True or Not True?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] True or Not True?
From: Mike" <W4EF@dellroy.com (Mike)
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2001 04:41:36 -0700
I think most of the NEC based programs calculate the current distribution
along the length of the antenna's linear elements. The far field pattern of the
antenna can then be derived by integrating the field contributions of each
elemental portion of that distribution. The equations given in Kraus's
"Electromagnetics" 2nd edition express the E and H fields in the far field
in terms of the current distribution only. His text does mention that the
E field depends on both current and charge distribution, but that only the
current distribution needs to be considered in the far field.

A 1/2 wave dipole can be thought of as a bunch of short linear dipoles
placed end-to-end with the current in each short dipole element proportional
to the magnitude of the dipoles familiar half sinusoidal current distribution at
that point along the length of the antenna.  The short dipole elements near the
center of this array will of course contribute more to the overall radiation
field
than the ones near the ends since the current will be larger in the elements
near the center than that of those near the ends.

If I had the choice between having the ends of my dipole high with the center
low versus having the center high and the ends low, I would choose the latter
option.