[TowerTalk] Hams with small lots and low bands

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Hams with small lots and low bands
From: Dinsterdog@aol.com (Dinsterdog@aol.com)
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 17:49:24 EDT
I just got an email today from EA4DX, Roberto, who just completed an amazing
DXpedition to H40 and H44.  I asked him what he was using for his 40/80 meter
antenna I was fortunate to work him on.  He indicated he was using 400 watts
and a Butternut HF2V .. he was a very popular operator on the low bands this
past month!

I have a Butternut HF2V, and use it here in Wyoming and on my old small
backyard QTH in Denver.  It also worked very well in Denver against my fence
with around 60 short radials on it ranging from 4-20 feet laid out in every
direction where there was not a sidewalk, neighbor's fence, dog house,
etc....- I am convinced that a small amplifier and the HF2V, or other trapped
ground mounted vertical using some sort of radial system, will let anyone
work the low bands (excluding 160) for success towards DXCC and beyond. It's
tough to beat the angle of radiation of a well installed ground mount
vertical compared to other limited space antennas, ie: trapped dipoles, that
require a certain amount of height to work better (at least on paper........)
I think it is important to remember that it does not take a huge array to get
out a readable signal on the low bands- While on Lord Howe as VK9LZ in April
of 1998, I was looking at a K index from 4-5, an A index of 50-80, yet
working grayline stateside at good rates on 30/40/80 meters with 100 watts
into a Cushcraft multiband AP8A vertical with 10 radials-  I'd suggest to
small back yard owners to work the lowbands at opportunistics times with a
decent ground mounted vertical , such as along the grayline (your's), vs
trying to put up bigger/oversized wire/loops etc........antennas......Proper
"timing" of working DX on the low bands is a major, sometimes overlooked,
factor when limited on space for bigger antennas.

73  Paul  N0AH

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,

-----