[TowerTalk] Another Tower Option

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Another Tower Option
From: jon.ogden@cain-forlaw.com (Jon Ogden)
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2001 07:23:34 -0500
Hi all,

Well, I have another potential option for my tower plans that I wanted to
put up before everyone.  Any comments would be appreciated.

Last night while driving home from work, I got talking to another ham on our
local repeater that I have known for some time.  We got to discussing my
current Rohn-25 tower project.  To make a long story short, this coming
Saturday morning he is going to be taking down two 55 foot crank-up towers.
One is sold already.  The other is still for sale at what I think is a great
price - $500.  I am planning on going over to his place on Saturday
afternoon to take a look at it.

So what do I do?  If it's in good shape, should I get it and scrap the idea
of erecting the Rohn-25 tower?  The crank-up has many advantages that I can
see.  For one, I don't need to have a tower growing out of our patio and
running through our deck.  My wife has heartburn with this idea -she'll let
me put up the tower, but isn't super happy with it - she's a GOOD woman!
She likes the idea of the crank-up much, much better.  I also don't need to
run any guy wires so I won't have to worry about all that or stresses on the
house, etc.  It's an easier install in that all I have to do is dig a hole,
pour the concrete and set the tower.  I guess that's the hardest part and
most negative as well (digging the hole and pouring concrete).

There's really no height difference between the crank-up and what I have
planned already.  The crank-up may be a few feet higher.

So what should I do?  Comments?  Should I continue with the Rohn install or
scrap it for the crank-up (provided it is in sound shape)?  Have I missed
anything?  I am sure some of you would suggest I put both towers up!  :-)

Thanks much es 73,

Jon
NA9D

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,