[TowerTalk] Metal roof & antenna patterns

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Metal roof & antenna patterns
From: w5kft@nts-online.net (w5kft@nts-online.net)
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2001 10:26:02 -0500

        Back in the early summer we had a terrific hail storm that
totalled the wooden roofing shingles on our home.  The insurance
companies are really pushing that the new roofs being re-installed
be of steel construction to prevent future hail damage.

        They are offering discounts of up to 45% on homeowners
insurance if you will intall an approved steel roof so there will
be substancial future savings.

        TWO QUESTIONS:::

        # 1  Anyone have experience or comments on how the steel
roof will affect or change patterns of the tower mounted antennas
above the house.  House is two stories, tower is 80 feet of Rohn 45
installed against the side of the house.  Tower has Hygain TH 11
for 10-12-15-17-20 at 80 feet, 5 element 6 meter beam at 85 feet,
and Cushcraft 2 element 40 at 90 feet.  Wire antennas for 75 and
on 160 are hung from the 80 foot level.

        # 2  What about lightning potential with the metal roof versus
the standard wooden or comp roof.......

        Comments from the guru's please....

Bryan W5KFT

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,