[TowerTalk] Re: [RTTY] AL-1200 arcing during QRO RTTY contesting

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: [RTTY] AL-1200 arcing during QRO RTTY contesting
From: wa7fab@cdsnet.net (Van K7VS)
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2001 08:26:27 -0700
John, my two cents.  Over the years on RTTY I used an NCL-2000 at 600 watts
out no problems...3 - 4 db down from 1500 watts out.  For many years used
Amp Supply linears called LK-550.  Had two of them both running 1300-1500
watts out with good sucess.  Have two Alpha 76CA's (three 8874's) and not
tried them...would be curious if they are being used by anyone at 1500 watts
output for rtty contesting.  (still have a LK550 here on shelf...they use
three 3-500's and 1.75 amp hypersil xfmr  the xfmr weighs more than most 1.5
kw amps...sixty pounds!)  Kept it just in case the urge returns to do some
rtty contesting again.

John...would recommend looking for an LK 550 as rf deck very rugged with
similar bandswitch to what Alpha uses and very heavy power supply.  Just
last week sold one of them to a fellow in Utah.  Wish I had known you were
looking for a good stable hi-powered rtty amp as these units handled rtty
contesting hi power for me very well.  Only probably I ever had was
occassional arcing of load capacitor which was probably my fault for
mistuning, forgeting to change bands/antennas  in middle of night and so
forth.  I kept a couple of loading capacitors on the shelf just in case and
did replace once or twice during contests.

Van, K7VS (wa7fab)

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,

-----