[TowerTalk] Underwater coax

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Underwater coax
From: paulc@mediaone.net (Paul Christensen)
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 21:14:17 -0400
> I dislike 9913 (I think that is what it was) because the stuff I have is
> hollow and fills with water no matter how you seal it when
> horizontal.

Same here.  In Florida, here's a typical 9913 failure: the coax begins to
heat to a very high temperature in the afternoon sun.  Then, as is customary
during a summer afternoon, a cool rain develops out of nowhere betwen 3 and
4PM and rapidly cools the cable, thereby causing the air dielectric to
condense and super-saturate with moisture.  I have tried several methods of
trying to keep this phenomenon from occurring but I eventually gave up and
threw it away in disgust.

Today, I use the LMR-400 series line.  It's light, uses a copper-clad
surface aluminum center conductor (like CATV hard line), it contains a foil
and braided shield, uses a very low-loss, high voltage-rated dielectric and
has a long-life Class-II jacket.  I understand that a flooded version of the
cable is now available for direct-bury applications.  Pricing is similar to
Belden RG-213, but I've found the LMR line is a dream to work with.  Solid
and stranded center conductors are available.

-Paul, W9AC

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,

-----