[TowerTalk] Tom Harke de Lee--- Stuck Elements

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tom Harke de Lee--- Stuck Elements
From: leewical@lava.net (LEE R. WICAL)
Date: Sun, 04 Nov 2001 10:17:24 -1000
Tom Harke wrote:

>many of the elements are tight and will not budge. I have tried a number
of things.....suggestions??????

Tom:
        Have you tried using a propane or better yet MAPP gas torch to heat the
outer element? Then using rags and Vice Grips (TM) try to put the elements
apart.
        This may take a second person to help orchestrate this manuver!
        THEN: Brute strength and ignorance after that!
        You can use use Liquid Wrench, by GUNK to soak it overnight.
        Next time when you telescope two aluminum elements together, coat the
inner element with PENTROX-A by Burndy. Any electrical distributor carries
it. Some, SOME Home Depots carry it. Use an ample dose on the element!
        I would NOT RECOMMEND ALNOX, as I find it is NOT as effective as
PENTROX-A.
When you use PENTROX-A on an installation, use 3-M #33 or #33-plus or #88
electrical tape around the joint. This keeps the PENTROX-A moist and you
won't have this same TROUBLE THE NEXT TIME! We all learn!
        Pls let me know how you do.

Lee

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,

-----