[TowerTalk] Protecting RX in SO2R

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Protecting RX in SO2R
From: n4kg@juno.com (n4kg@juno.com)
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2001 12:05:10 -0600
Pete,

The FIRST thing you need to know is how much power
is coming in to the second radio (and vice versa).
Connect a dummy load and wattmeter to EACH of the
alternate antennas while transmitting full power into the
other antennas.  Orient all antennas for maximum coupling.

I found about 5 watts between high band antennas on
separate towers at 75 ft spacing.  Around 50 watts
between 80M slopers attached to the same tower.
Those slopers have been replaced by separate high
dipoles at right angles to each other between towers.

My "Protection Boxes" consist of a series 2W 22 Ohm
Carbon Composition (non-inductive) Resistor followed
by 2 stacks (opposite polarization) of 4 diodes.  Use
any fast switching diodes such as 1N914 which will have
very low capacitance.  These are placed in the RX antenna
line of each (Kenwood) Radio using the Transverter Plug
which conveniently interrupts the RX line with input and
output terminals available on the plug.

Cheap and easy.  NO more blown input transformers.
The TS830 manual warns not to exceed 7 V at the
antenna input.  My old Collins 75A3 has a stamped
warning on the back not to exceed 50 V RMS at the
antenna input.  You could dump your exciter into it
(short term) without ever damaging it !

Tom  N4KG