[TowerTalk] Protecting RX in SO2R

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Protecting RX in SO2R
From: n4kg@juno.com (n4kg@juno.com)
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2001 13:02:21 -0600
The series resistor absorbs the excess incoming power.
One of my resistors showed signs of excessive heating.
I'm not sure if that was from my other transmitter or a
lightning event.  In either case, it DID protect the receiver.

Yes, 4 diodes connected in series with cathodes to ground
in parallel with another 4 diodes connected in series with
anodes to ground.  The diodes clamp the voltage to 2.8 V
peak to peak.  I wanted to keep the voltage high enough to
prevent IMD generation from strong RF signals yet low enough
to protect the small wire in the 7mm input coil of my RX.

Without the resistor, you would be dumping the excess power
into the small signal diodes.  You could exceed their current rating
and if they open up, then your RX is the next load.  :-(

ANT -------RESISTOR------------------RX Input
              22 Ohm      |    |
                2W      D  D      D= 1N914 or any
                        |    |             fast switching diode