[TowerTalk] Antenna Layout

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Antenna Layout
From: abowen@nettally.com (ABowenN4OO)
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 08:53:23 -0500
At 08:55 PM 11/19/2001 -0500, you wrote:

>Thanks for all the good suggestions, I'm still digesting all the
>information. It looks like some sort of really good sighting compass
>would work if I stay away from the barbed wire fences.
=======================================

I have been using a Suunto azimuth and elevation device. Suunto has a web
site but they are also available from one of the forestry supply sources
posted earlier. I got the idea from the guy who installed our C band dish
several years ago. It is quite precise and it was more satisfactory than a
cheap surveying instrument I also have. The surveying telescopes are very
high magnification and difficult to set up properly without at least one
eager assistant.

The elevation device is handy for estimating the height of trees.

To help maintain a straight line through the woods, I use a stout nylon
line. This stuff is the twisted nylon similar to chalk line, but is about
.090 diameter. I bought it at our local marine supply place, probably
similar to your fishing tackle supply source. I wind the line on one of
those big orange reels sold by Lowe's or Home Depot.

Our local place also handles several sizes of braided lines, but they are
all green, hence hard to see on the ground. The braided line does not
stretch as much. I suppose one could also use the smallest diameter of
Dacron line.

Layout is difficult on windy days as someone else has already pointed out.

INK N4OO

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,

-----