[TowerTalk] Fwd: KYTV, Channel 3 - Springfield, MO - Television towertop

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Fwd: KYTV, Channel 3 - Springfield, MO - Television towertopples]
From: k1xt@hotmail.com (bill thomas)
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2001 11:01:11 -0600

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
>Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2001 09:51:54 -0500
>
> > Aren't most TV towers, and particularly the really tall ones, equipped
> > with multiple guy anchors in each direction?  Seems to me that doing
> > this with amateur towers would virtually eliminate the
> > tree-cut-at-bottom scenario by making sure that the tower remains
> > tethered on the way down.
>
>You can bet if you see a guyed tower laying over like a "cut tree",
>something was wrong with the guying.
>
>Even a tower guyed at one level will fold and fall, if the guys are
>properly installed and maintained. Improper guying would include
>lack of maintenance, poor or improper installation, and/or poor
>choice of materials.
>

>73, Tom W8JI
>W8JI@contesting.com

In addition, this tower could have been overloaded too.  As I recall, this
tower was about 30 years old.  I know of several 900 footers here in St.
Louis which the engineers would admit to you on the sly that they are
overloaded.  They just keep putting more and more antennas on them. Some
antenna bays can be over 1000 pounds.  They never anticipated digital TV,
cellular systems, etc. 30 years ago.

Bill K1XT