[TowerTalk] Trees

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Trees
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 10:11:51 EST
In a message dated 12/12/01 10:44:03 PM Pacific Standard Time,
kc5ajx@hotmail.com writes:

> The best and safest way to do this is to run the wire that goes around the
>  tree thru some old garden hose, this keeps the wire from cutting into the
>  tree bark. Also don't tie the wire tight around the tree. Tie it loose in
>  teardrop shape, tight on the back side but loose on the front so the tree
>  can grow like the way you would wrap a rope around your waist to pull a
>  heavy load. The tension on the wire will keep the wire from sliding down
or
>  you can run it over braches to hold the wire up. Just remember to cover
the
>  wire where ever it comes in contact with the tree to protect the bark.
>  Some would say that it doesn't mater if you tie the wire tight around the
>  tree trunk as the tree bark will grow around the wire in time. This is
true
>  but it leaves a weak spot in the bark and give pests and diseases easy
>  access to the tender growth under the bark that could kill the tree in
time.

    Please DO NOT put anything around a tree. All of the sap, water,
nutrients, etc. are brought up under the bark layer. Anything that puts
pressure on this epidermal path will choke off the sap and eventually kill
the tree.

    Use a single point anchorage like an eye screw or lag screw if you need
to anchor something to a tree. An eye screw is more like a pinprick than a
tourniquet and is obviously much more benign to the tree.

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
Tower Tech
Have installed dozens of wire antenna halyards and 15-16 HF yagis in trees
including 2L 40M beams.

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,

-----