[TowerTalk] Trees

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Trees
From: SPELUNK.SUENO@prodigy.net (EUGENE SMAR)
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 16:49:56 -0500
TT:

     For years I used pieces of garden hose to protect the trees to which I
had tied various antennas (ae?) as well as clothes lines for the XYL.  That
won't protect the trees.  When I removed my horizontal loop that had been
suspended through the pine trees around here since 1992 I found that the
limbs had grown around the hose, and the limbs or even the trunk about it
was smaller, as if it had been choked.  The clothes line also did some
damage to a lower, main branch of a maple tree outside my shack.

     However, for the loop I had used a couple of 18 inch long rubber bungee
cords with S hooks at either end to provide flexible suspension points.  At
neither of these places did the trees show any damage.  I've since been
using similar rubber cords for my 160M EWEs, the pulleys for my inverted L,
etc.

    You can wrap the rubber cord once around the limb and hook one S hook
around the cord itself.  I usually pinch this hook closed a little bit with
a pair of pliers; not so much that the rubber can't stretch or slide as the
tree grows.  The other hook is used to attach a dogbone insulator, etc.  In
that case I usually have to open the hook a little.

     FWIW.

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F