[TowerTalk] Hink and Kinks

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Hink and Kinks
From: k1ir@designet.com (Jim Idelson)
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 22:24:19 -0500
I was also very surprised to see the "unusual" suggestions in this month's QST.
Wow.

It wasn't long ago that I was lucky enough to have two articles appear in QST.
Here's my experience. As with so many periodicals, the editor's focus is on a)
getting hands on enough material that meets the editorial guidelines, b)
filling the allocated column-inches with an article having right mix of text
and images/graphics, c) getting the English right, and d) meeting deadline.
Unfortunately, the pressure to get the content right generally comes from the
author, not the editorial staff. Except in the most prestigious journals, this
is often the case. It is very common that the editorial staff doesn't have the
background to critically review the content. Some editors will run material by
a behind-the-scenes "expert" in the field before putting it in print. I am
often perform this role in my industry. This is very smart, and contributes
substantially to the quality of the final product.

Seems to me there's a great opportunity for one or two TowerTalkers to
volunteer for this role as expert reviewer.

73!

Jim K1IR

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,

-----