[TowerTalk] Any RG62 experts out there? (fwd from K8LV)

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Any RG62 experts out there? (fwd from K8LV)
From: steve@oakcom.com (Steve Maki)
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 23:50:59 -0500
My friend Eric K8LV seems unable to post to some of the reflectors
because of the new AOL front end he is using, so he asked me to relay
this. His e-mail address is evonvaltie@aol.com

--
Steve K8LX
(fwd)

       I have discovered what may be a dirty little secret about RG62 coax.
While building up some transformers for a new phased array design, I measured
the VF of a brand new reel of ALPHA 9062 (RG62A/u) and found it be about
.725. This varies considerably from the mfrs. published data, which specifies
.82.

       Thinking that it was a defective reel, I then procurred a reel from
another mfr. (JSC) and lo-and-behold: the same result!.

       This much of an error in the VF, if not properly accounted for in your
design, can cause a considerable amount of reactance to appear/disappear
where not wanted. Since this is the only readily available 90ohm coax
available, it should be of interest to anyone who works seriously with the
design of antenna feedsystems.

       I would like to hear from anyone who has any knowledge relating to
this. I am attempting to contact the mfrs. for some input, but first I have
to penetrate their "tech support" firewalls (always a daunting task.)

K8LV Eric von Valtier

---

Steve:        (pse fwd to towertalk)

       I just broke on through to the other side - of the firewall at JSC
Cable. They admit that they have never actually measured and verified the VF
of RG62A/u, despite the fact that they have sold millions of feet of it! The
engineer that I spoke to is "looking into it" as we speak.

       My educated opinion goes as follows. Several years ago mfrs. of RG62
changed the design of this cable, probably to allow use of a larger center
conductor. That would make it a lot friendlier to handle in a world full of
75ohm cable and hardware.

       In this new design the center conductor is smaller than the hole in
the dielectric and the difference in diameter is physically handled by
spirally wrapping a thread of dielectric around the center conductor, which
holds it centered in the dielectric.

       Now, however, the dielectric is not sold poly with an epsilon-sub-r of
2+.  But the people who wrote the catalog really don't know anything about
electronics, so they just used their old-wives wisdom: e=2.3 so Z-zero is 93
ohms (based on the ratio of outer to inner diameter, as usual.)
Unfortunately, we have a situation here with a sandwich dielectric where one
layer is air with e=1.0.

       Worse, it appears that this discrepancy has been 100% duplicated by
every mfr. of RG62 that I am aware of.

       Finally, I would (as a reality check) appreciate independent
verification by anyone interested that VF=.73 +/- .1  for RG62.

Eric

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,

-----