[TowerTalk] 9913 Reliability

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 9913 Reliability
From: paulc@mediaone.net (Paul Christensen)
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 11:59:53 -0500
> I have seen both 9913 and 213 that was discolored due to moisture and I have
> seen both look like new after several years. It would seem the water issue
> is a problem for either cable.

Yes, the water issue is the same concerning the point(s) of connectorization.
It's what must take place after the cable becomes
impregnated with water vapor through connector leakage: On RG-213 or LMR-400,
the problem can oftentimes be severed several inches
from the connector and a new connector attached.  On 9913, once moisture
enters, it must purged of all moisture to become effective
again.  Unless you have compressed nitrogen or an automatic dehydration device
lying around, purging long lengths of 9913 can be
very difficult and time-consuming due to significant back pressure: the spiral
air dialectic impedes the air flow.   Take 100-feet
of 9913 and try blowing into it.  On a final note, LMR-400 can be purchased as
a "flooded" version whereby silicon gel effectively
serves as a protective layer between the jacket and the shield in the event
light severing of the jacket occurs.

-Paul, W9AC

AN Wireless Self Supporting Towers are now available!  Windloading tables,
foundation diagrams and charts, along with full details are now at the
AN Wireless Web site:  http://www.ANWireless.com

-----