[TowerTalk] Cable Loss Comparison (Was 9913 reliability)

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Cable Loss Comparison (Was 9913 reliability)
From: n4kg@juno.com (n4kg@juno.com)
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 12:26:47 -0600
Thanks for posting your measurements Tony.

I converted your percentages to dB total and dB/100 ft
as shown in the following table.    For your 220 ft runs,
it looks like there is little benefit to using 9913 over
RG213 and little benefit in using 7/8 inch hardline over
1/2 inch hardline.  The 1/2 inch hardline offers 1 dB
less loss than 220 ft RG213. Very interesting result.

Tom  N4KG

Cable (avg 220 ft)      dB loss    dB/100 ft at 10M

7/8"  hardline - 88%    0.555      0.25
1/2"  hardline - 82%    0.86       0.39
9913 - 68%              1.675      0.76
RG-213 - 65%.           1.87       0.85

On Thu, 20 Dec 2001  "N2TK" <t.kazmakites@verizon.net> writes:

> Just had tilted over the tower to replace some antennas. Checked the
> coax
> for loss. Measured the power going into the coax and measured the
> power at
> the end of the coax at 28.0 MHz with a dummy load on the coax. Used
> the same
> watt meter for both. The length of the coaxes is about 210 - 230'.
> Here is
> the loss as a percentage of power out/power in.
> By the way, I cut off the end of one of the 9913 runs at the house
> (lowest
> point of run) to see if any discoloration of the copper. There was
> none.
> This coax has been up for 8 years.
> 7/8" Prodelin hardline - 88%
> 1/2" Prodelin hardline - 82% - 2 runs measured the same
> 9913 - 68% - 2 runs measured the same
> RG-213 - 65%.
>
> The measurements are approximate and were done to just check to make
> sure
> the coax didn't have a problem.
>
> Tony

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!