[TowerTalk] Are_higher_HF_antenna's_really_better?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Are_higher_HF_antenna's_really_better?
From: n4kg@juno.com (n4kg@juno.com)
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 10:02:21 -0600
On Fri, 11 Jan 2002  <i4jmy@iol.it> writes:

>       SNIP

> Very often, the real point behind such kind of questions is
> *where  do I  place the only antenna I can have, to get
> the best results in this  conditions ?*.

        SNIP
> 73,
> Mauri I4JMY

For a tower of 60 ft or more,  it is trivial to add
a trap dipole or small (2L) tribander at 30 to 40 ft
to fill in the unavoidable 10 to 50 dB  NULLS
in the vertical plane pattern of a higher Yagi.

A pair of low trap dipoles will give 360 degree coverage
at low cost without the need for a rotor.  Even wire
inverted vees or Delta Loops could be used.  ANYTHING
is better being in the pattern null for a wanted contact.

I remember reading a comment from a California
DXer lamenting how he had done everything right,
installing a BIG antenna on a TALL tower, yet he
had spend 5 or 6 HOURS calling one of the early
ZA operations to no avail while everyone else
(with LOWER antennas?) seemed to be working him.

Tom  N4KG