[TowerTalk] Are_higher_HF_antenna's_really_better?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Are_higher_HF_antenna's_really_better?
From: wy6k@yahoo.com (Michael Watts)
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 17:40:38 -0800 (PST)
I, for one, do not doubt that lower antennas are at times better than high
ones.  I have done
experiments with my crankup tower that have convinced me.

But that doesn't seem like the relevant point unless you are able to put up
lots of different
antennas.  For the "one or a small number of antennas" crowd, isn't the
relevant question for any
given antenna height:  "What percentage of the time will I have the best
performance to the places
in the world that I most care about?"

If a lower antenna is better only in some small percentage of cases, then it's
not wise to advise
a one antenna guy to put the antenna lower.  There seems to be substantial
agreement that higher
antennas perform better a larger percentage of the time than lower ones.  Is
this not true?  If
you had only one antenna, would you put it lower or higher?