[TowerTalk] Alternate 80m antenna thoughts

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Alternate 80m antenna thoughts
From: k2av@contesting.com (Guy Olinger, K2AV)
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 00:44:47 -0500
Does not work that way. Model it. It will surprise you.

The trick to understanding how it works is to visualize the system as
a collection of point impedances coming back from the high voltage
zero current points (tips = extremely high Z) to low Z's a quarter
wave away.

At a given point where there is more than one possible path, the path
with the electrical distance to tip that is most like an odd quarter
wavelength will take the larger proportional current.

It is only 30 feet or so from the tower to the farthest tip on the
C31. That has a LARGE impedance to it on 80, and much higher Z on 160.
It's much easier (lower Z) to run up the tower to the tips that are
more like a quarter wave away. That might be a choice between 2000
ohms and 100 ohms.

160 meter current on the lower C31 will be insignificant.