[TowerTalk] Universal Freestanding Tower

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Universal Freestanding Tower
From: kk9a@arrl.net (kk9a@arrl.net)
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2002 19:46:32 -0600
Unfortunately there are not a lot of freestanding tower choices for the
amateur.  I currently own two Universal towers and I had another one over 20
years ago in my parents backyard . They are easy to install, although I
doubt you'll be able to put the antenna on top and walk it up as easily as
their catalog shows.   I've used a tow truck to pull one up and I've put one
up with a gin pole.  The round tubing is easy to climb and there's no sharp
edges to get cut up on.  I use stainless steel hardware on mine.   There are
many on this reflector who are against aluminum towers and masts.  I'm sure
you will have good success with this tower if YOU DO NOT EXCEED THE
MANUFACTURES RATINGS!  Buy one heavier than you need.    I have also have
30' of universal tower in Aruba where I've used it in a field day type set
up.

73,
John