[TowerTalk] Shunt Feed Capacitor for Tower

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Shunt Feed Capacitor for Tower
From: n4kg@juno.com (n4kg@juno.com)
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2002 15:48:04 -0600
One more interesting side note, the CC 402CD
is known to co-exist pretty well with tribanders
using a grounded reflector and insulated DE.

The Newer Stronger CC 2L40 (I forgot the model nr)
has an insulated reflector as well as DE and more reports
of undesirable interactions with tribanders.

Food for thought.

Tom  N4KG

On Fri, 08 Feb 2002 Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com> writes:
> At 01:30 PM 2/8/02 -0600, n4kg@juno.com wrote:
> >I think my relay suggestion makes a better OPEN and SHUT case :-)
> >for those who are concerned about boom currents when using the
> Yagi.
> >I wonder what F12 has to say about just connecting the end elements
> >to the boom to prevent arcing when using the tower as a 160M
> vertical?
>
> I believe they have said that this is a possibility, since it should
> not
> affect the operation of the antenna on its design frequency.
>
> Given the high voltages present, I assume that a vacuum latching
> relay
> would be a good choice if one chose to apply this solution.  And of
> course,
> it might be that there would be no deleterious effect in any given
> installation from simply strapping the two together -- but there
> might be.
> In my case, I'm leery because the 40m antenna that may need arc
> protection
> is only 6 feet above a tribander.
>
> 73, Pete N4ZR
>
> Sometimes a tower is