[TowerTalk] Metal fatigue

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Metal fatigue
From: ve7hcb@rac.ca (Chris BONDE)
Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2002 13:55:32 -0800
The only reason that I am commenting is so that I can learn.   (Red talks
about fatigue but not hardening.)
I know that copper work hardens, never really though of fatigue, as the
hardening tends to cause brittleness, then rupture.  So I thought that I
should find out something.  Went to our son's Metals Handbook (metal and
materials engineer) Still not sure if I learned anything.

Definitions
work hardening same as strain hardening
strain hardening  An increase in hardness and strength caused by plastic
deformation at temperatures below the recrystalization point.

fatigue The phenomenon leading to fracture under repeated or fluctuating
stresses having a maximum value less than the tensile strength of the
material.  Fatigue fractures are progressive, beginning as minute cracks
that grow under the action of the fluctuating stress
extra
strain-age embrittlement A loss in ductility accompanied by an increase in
hardness and strength that occurs when low-carbon steel is aged following
plastic deformation.

stress force per unit of area
strain A messure of the relative change in the size or shape of a body.