[TowerTalk] Vertical and ground-radial question?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Vertical and ground-radial question?
From: ve7hcb@rac.ca (Chris BONDE)
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2002 14:00:59 -0800
At 03:28 PM 2002-02-16 -0500, Don Havlicek wrote:

>Eddy Avila wrote:
> >
> > Anyways, my questions is: the wife wants me to cover the entire area above
> > the ground radials with chicken wire so the gophers and moles will bump
> into
> > the chicken wire instead of digging up to the surface, so should I bond all
> > the chicken wire together and bond it to the ground-radial system??? Will
> > this help my signal any? Or may be making things worse?
>
>A ground screen will help a lot; however, those MOLES are eating the
>grubs in your yard.  Get rid of the moles and your grass will suffer.
>[Yeah, I know that those tunnels look ugly!].  The only other way to get
>rid of the moles is to get rid of the grubs .. topical application of a
>good insecticide will do wonders .. but it will also poison the ground
>water ... shhhhhhhhhh .. I didn't say that!
>And .. a .22 caliber with a good aiming eye will eliminate the gophers!

To get rid of some of the grubs here in our lawn we have applied the
following in the evening on a hot day (donot sprinkle for awhile).
Into a 2 gallon water can
1 can of beer, 1 cup antiseptic mouth wash, 1 cup suddsy ammonia, 1 cup of
dish soap or shampoo,  also a couple tablespoons of molasses dissolved in 1
cup of hot water,  fill rest of watering can with luke warm water (not cold
as some of the stuff will precipitate. Then walk around the lawn sprinkling
liberally.  Might have to make a number of batches.  I was doing it saying
I had to use 2 cans of beer per mixture, my wife was wondering when I was
putting the 6th batch on the lawn.  It does take a bit of solution, but it
appears to work.

Chris opr VE7HCB

Order online at http://store.eham.net.

-----