[Top] [All Lists]

[TowerTalk] Guyed 50' Rohn 25 base?

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Guyed 50' Rohn 25 base?
From: (Phil Florig)
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 13:15:40 -0600
At 06:20 PM 02/18/2002 -0800, you wrote:

>There is LOTS of stuff NOT in the Rohn books.  There is a lot more stuff
>MISSING than is actually there.  You have found a couple of examples.  I
>have Rohn catalogs going back to about 1968 and I have never seen that stuff
>in any of them.  Another thing missing is any mention of ever using the
>GAS604 screw-in anchors (or any other screw-in anchors, I believe) for any
>purpose what-so-ever.

As I understand it when they, Rohn, make up the catalogs on request they
gather together the sheets for "ham applications" and then bind them and
send out.   When I called, Feb 97, she said she would put together and
send.  I assume some loose standard of catalog.  As to the GAS604 anchors
is what I ordered and am using.  They are mentioned in the 25 foldover
towers as part of the guy kit.  Assumed that was the recommended one to
use.   The sheet no is D-2706. Also there is a drawing no B750008 that
shows installation details of using this anchor for the fold over type
tower.    Can scan or copy if anyone wants it.

>What you do see in the Rohn books are SOME examples of how you might
>properly install a Rohn tower.  If you want to do anything other than what
>is shown in the examples, you need to figure it out for yourself or hire a
>PE.  If you are Bill Gates, you can hire Rohn to do the engineering for you
>. . .

They sure do get some nice prices for advising.....

>Dave Hachadorian wrote:
> > On Mon, 18 Feb 2002 10:51:21 -0500 writes:
> > >
> > > I'm planning on installing a guyed 50' Rohn 25 tower, to hold a
> > > single
> > > three element tribander. I've gotten the Rohn engineering drawings
> > > but
> > > I dont specifically see any plans for an approved base that either
> > > uses the hinged plate base, or a buried section of tower as the
> > > base mount.
> > >

There are a couple of prints in my book for some of this.  There is an
reference installation sheet that specs the hole for a 25 fold over (guyed 
of course)
that says in part:
"Dig a hole 24" square by approximately 36" deep.  <snip>
It also talks about putting gravel on bottom and then putting in the
"short base section"
There is another print no. A87129b that shows a 25 base section in concrete
for the bracketed tower.  It says to use 4' of concrete.  Assume has to
be deeper for the bracketed tower compared to the full guyed tower.

Bottom line as has been said before -- follow the mfg recommended rules.

Thanks to this reflector we can do research with fellow hams/interested persons
to make sure we have it right.

Side note, I am putting up towers and ant. in W. No Carolina and hope to be
down there soon.  Sure is nice to have a location that is a lot quieter than
an industrial part in Chicago suburb.   S1-2 noise in NC and abt S8 to 10 over
in Chicago..    Lucky to get the 100+ needed on 80 for 5bdxcc in the industrial
park.....    HI........

> > > I do see detail regarding freestanding/unguyed towers, but not
> > > for guyed. Im specifically looking for hole size and volume
> > > information.
> > >
> > > Is that info available anywhere, for a guyed 50' 25 tower?

Where do you get ICE bandpass filters & beverage matching boxes?  The
same place that pays for the hosting of this list:  The eHam Store.
Order online at

FAQ on WWW:     
Administrative requests:

<Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread>