[Towertalk] Relays

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Relays
From: jirka@jimaz.cz (Jiri Sanda)
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 00:48:11 +0100
Hi

Yes those relay contacts are called BIFURCATED. They are - or today
better to say - were - used in telephone lines switching systems,
because the telephone companies were addressing the same problem -
switching of small signal. Some manufactures are making them still for
instance OMRON makes those under the name G6A-234P. Those relays are
usually excellent BUT - usable up to few hundred W on HF. Maybe they
would survive more but I have not tried.

One thing which helps in amateur conditions is to reverse the usage of
contacts as is done very often on VHF specifically EME i.e. to have the
NC contact on Transmit and NO contact on Receive since the force
developed by the solenoid is usually bigger than the reverse force of
some tiny spring.

What I wanted to mention was the DANGER of using huge high power relays
in some "on the tower" aplication where you can hardly reach it and test it.

73!
Jiri
OK1RI