[Towertalk] Tower base "solution"

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Tower base "solution"
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2002 08:50:40 EST
rhodes@evertek.net writes:

> Possibly because Steve gave no real answer other than his usual & prudent
>  "do what the manufacturer says". I think the man was trying to ask "Why
>  doesn't the manufacturer say that this is OK?" Steve gave a rather flip
>  answer to a serious question. Maybe someone else out there can fill us in
>  with a little more background. I am no engineer, just a pill pusher, but
it
>  seems like if you can use forms in the ground & backfill around the base,
>  you could just as well take a base that was formed elsewhere and use it as
>  well. But like Steve says, you have to get it engineered. Can anyone out
>  there give us a reasoned answer? I am sure that it would require more
>  concrete. How much more?

    Part of the answer is that tower base specs typically call for them to be
installed in "undisturbed" earth. Using some sort of precast concrete in the
hole or using forms is not generally acceptable UNLESS you get an engineer to
bless it.

    Much of the integrity of the tower base comes from the interface of the
concrete and earth so the engineer makes certain assumptions about the
holding capacity of the dirt. Yes, there are some times when you might use a
form in the hole but then you'd need to be careful about compacting the soil
so that the soil will actually contribute something.

    Yes, the tower base consists of a whole bunch of weight to get the center
of gravity down low so you could come up with other schemes to do so. Will
they work? Maybe. Would you make such 'back-of-envelope-engineering'
decisiions for YOUR tower? Would those decisions enable you to sleep during
that *big* storm that'll be rolling through with no thoughts as to the
reliability of the installation?

    And, yes, the forces acting on a traffic light are MUCH different than
those on the typical ham tower; i.e. height above ground, total weight, total
windload, torque, etc.

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
TOWER TECH -
Professional tower services for industry and amateurs