[Towertalk] Notes on my new tower

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Notes on my new tower
From: w5vx@hiline.net (Bill Parry)
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2002 10:28:34 -0600
I just finished putting up my new tower and have some thoughts.

1. I stacked a Cushcraft XM240 at 131' and Force 12 C3E at 120 feet. I used
the rule of thumb that the stacking distance should be at least 1/2 the boom
length of the higher frequency antenna. (C3E has a boom of 18 feet). This is
not a good rule of thumb for these two antennas. Both the XM240 and the C3E
were significantly detuned from the specifications. The 120' tower has
non-conductive guys on the top three sets so that couldn't have been the
problem. We turned the C3E 90 degrees from the XM240 and both antennas play
fine. Not my favorite idea but it works.

1a. The Cushcraft antenna comes with stainless steel hardware, the F12
doesn't. I already have one C3 and the hardware rusted in no time. This time
I found a supplier of galvanized hardware and replace the hardware. I hope
it lasts. The C3 is an outstanding antenna, I wish it came with good
u-bolts. On the other hand, if you haven't put a Force 12 antenna together
you have missed something.

2. I have become disallusioned (sp?) with Tailtwisters and I decided to take
a chance on the new RD-1800 from C.A.T.S. It turns the antennas with no
problem. The Hygain control box works fine and doesn't jump around. No
mechanical brake to stick. Of course, I don't know about long term, but it
appears to be a pretty good buy.

3. Watching a professional tower company put up the tower and antennas was
an education. Five guys put the tower up in about 6 hours and 2 guys put the
antennas up in about 2.5 hours. Then plumb and tension. It's really great to
know what your doing. Even with these guys who obviously know their stuff,
one fellow accedentally dropped a come-along. Fortunately, it only hit the
guy below him a glancing below. (Three stitches in the top of his head.)

4. I have been planning this project for several months. Probably the single
greatest planning help was "TowerTalk". This is really a great resource!

Bill, W5VX
"All organizations are perfectly aligned for the results they get."