[Towertalk] falling from my tower

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] falling from my tower
From: alwilliams@olywa.net (Al Williams)
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 11:49:49 -0700
Yesterday I fell from my tower!  Well, not really--I fell from my 6'
stepladder
that was leaning against the tilt fixture.  I had finished looping the tilt
winch cable through the pulleys and was descending at the 2nd or 3rd step
from the ground.  All of sudden I was falling backwards and hit the
ground, first with my feet, then my tailbone, then my back, and then
my head (which bounced back up a bit).

I don't climb towers so am not at all an authority so why am I posting this
to all tower talkians including many experienced and professional tower
climbers?  Read on.

First, I do not have a macho personality and I always have been very
cautious and careful whether hiking, using ladders, and tools, etc.
The stepladder was firmly planted and it or I did not slip.  Furthermore,
I had made it a practice to have both hands holding the cross braces
of the tilt fixture before moving my feet up or down.

But an unexpected event occurred.  My right boot caught on the
ladder rung.  At the same time I must have had one or both hands
off the cross braces (I wasn't carrying anything--maybe one hand
was free and the other hand got pulled off, I don't know).

Here is why I am posting this accident.  I was finished with the
off-ground part of the task and what could happen so close to
the ground?  I must have deviated from my safety carefulness
long enough for the unexpected event to occur.

Fortunately, my sore tailbone and lower back has almost
completely recovered.

Forever stay cautious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks
k7puc