[Towertalk] 620/340

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] 620/340
From: na4m@arrl.net (Phil Duff)
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2002 12:56:31 +0000
At 23:49 4/13/2002 -0400, K7LXC@aol.com wrote:

>     As far as the potential mechanical problems, double or triple-row the
>rivets per joint and they won't come apart. Make sure the element
>boom-to-element brackets are backed up with thru-bolts. And pay the extra 10%
>for the upgraded 100 MPH version.

Instead of double/triple-rowing the joint rivets why not use a couple of
small stainless screws/bolts with appropriate lock washers and nuts or
nylock nuts?     As matter of fact if there is a need to double/triple-row
the rivets to prevent potential mechanical problems maybe rivets are not
the best way to secure the joints - just use screws/bolts?   I know there
are  many cases where pop-rivets are working just fine but to me they've
always seemed kind of a dubious method to make secure reliable long-lived
mechanical joints.

73 Phil NA4M

....- --
Phil Duff NA4M     na4m@arrl.net   Georgetown, Texas