[Towertalk] 620/340

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] 620/340
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 10:10:03 EDT
In a message dated 4/14/02 4:57:51 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
hphillips@mho.com writes:

> I have a 620/340. The rivets have fell out of the forty mtr elements more
>  than once. I have replaced them with upgraded rivets, using both  hydraulic
>  and or air rivet tool. The rivets in the boom and element to boom rivets
are
>  the only ones that have been a problem.  Dick K8ZTT has the same antenna
and
>  has the same problem. We are getting ready to replace the linear loaded
>  elements with the "N" elements, so will fix all at the same time.
>  So I would suggest something to correct this problem. The boom problem was
>  fixed by replacing the rivets and installing stainless bolts.

    Like I said a couple of days ago, put one or two additional rows of
rivets (a row of rivets every 180 degrees or 120 degrees) to back-up the
single row the factory supplies. This will "pin" the element quite nicely and
should eliminate any element shedding by taking the slop out of the element
joint.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH -
Professional tower services for industry and amateurs