[Towertalk] antennas near water

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] antennas near water
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2002 11:24:45 -0400
> Just wondering...would having a tower and antenna on the shoreline of
> a large river provide a similar improvement? In ME where I would love
> to move to, there are MANY large rivers emptying into the bays and
> harbors.
>
> Would any gain be dependent on the direction/route of the river?

If you look at data for ground conductivity, you will find fresh-
water lakes and rivers almost always have significantly lower
conductivity than the surrounding soil areas.

While looking out over all that fresh water makes us feel good about
our antennas, and that is very important, it generally hurts the
signal a small amount.

Inland marshes filled with disgusting black acidic muck are another
story, but it is hard to get our wives to live in swamps...especially
if they are not also our cousins.73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com