[Towertalk] Misinformation - Misrepresentation - Missing the boat

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Misinformation - Misrepresentation - Missing the boat
From: k4oj@tampabay.rr.com (Jim White)
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 13:07:36 -0400
Having worked in sales and purchasing all my business life I can say that
there is something which appears to be missing time and time again in these
posts...

The relationship between the customer and the vendor....

As a buyer I cultivate relationships with my suppliers...there are times
when I will need something small or requiring special attention and they are
well within their right to charge a service charge but they waive
this...why?  Because of the other voluminous business I do with them.

WC4H correctly points out that until the ENTIRE order is known something
like waiving a service charge cannot be a given!

Every sales has costs as was well illustrated by W8JI on the "empty
box"....using that information....is the purchase of one bolt going to lead
to profits that will cover the "empty box cost"...HELL NO!

If you do repeated business with a vendor, and it amounts to enough that he
knows you by name when you call...then you have entered into a business
relationship.  If you are just dialing 800 numbers to find the cheapest
price then you are not are nothing more than an address and a VISA number.

Business relationships are kinda like contesting - I know some friends
overseas make an effort to call me in a contest because they are
friends..some of them in  rare places.  We have a relationship, more than
five nine five.

A small sale is a small sale - in order to fulfill it a business must NOT
lose money on it when Joe "800" number shopper calls around....now a repeat
customer that has bought in the past where his business has allowed the
vendor to show some real profit he might just find that charge waived as a
good will business gesture.

Of course some people don't know about these things because they are rude
and want the cheapest price - they do not have relationships - they treat
their vendors like condoms - use them and then throw them out

ME
ME
ME
ME

In doing so, these same people unfortunately brought about the end of your
local ham store....local hardware store...pick a business...if its only
about price then you never learn what service is.

Mr. Me probably doesn't get much customer service...he also probably gets
bent over on occasion, why - he doesn't have a relationship - he gets that
warm feeling - someone should tell him its the mutt that just pee'd on his
leg!

Business relationships benefit both the buyer and the seller, if you treat
your vendor like a whore expect to be treated like a sleezeball back.

Sound like a marriage - a good business relationship is!

73,

Jim, K4OJ