[Towertalk] Building Permit or Not

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Building Permit or Not
From: aa4lr@arrl.net (Bill Coleman)
Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 14:39:37 -0400
On 5/7/02 16:55, Alan KI7WO at ki7wo@juno.com wrote:

>Do I ask for a Building Permit from the City (big hassle with Special Use
>permit and Zoning Variance)??  or just put it up and wait to see who
>screams first.

Although it often is the common rule that it is easier to ask for
forgiveness than permission, here are a few things to consider.

If you don't properly document your structure with the local government,
it would make a very simple court case to get you to take it down -- if
your neighbors were sufficiently annoyed.

Also, how will your home-owners insurance react to the presense of the
structure. Not having proper governmental documentation allows them an
out as well -- or they might be able to cancel your insurance outright,
if a large claim arose from damage due to your tower.

>Have already talked to all the neighbors within 200 feet of the property
>lines and they all say they have no problem with the idea.  Just can't
>decide if it is worth all the paper work.

Get it in writing.

>Anyone with thoughts on the subject.  Missouri is one of those States
>that has not signed off yet on the PRB-1.

My advice is to see what is actually required. In my county, only a
simple permit and two inspections were required for towers less than 50
feet. An annoyance, but not a big deal.

Check with your insurance agent, too. You might want to be round-about on
the details. Ask about putting another structure on your lot, and what
would happen if it damaged the house.

            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901