[Towertalk] Lightning Protection by Ron Block in QST!

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Lightning Protection by Ron Block in QST!
From: wa9als@starband.net (WA9ALS - John)
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 18:31:24 -0500
In June 2002 QST, page 56, Part 1, by Ron Block, and reviewed for technical
accuracy by Roger.

Some interesting things, including a map and chart from which you can find
the number of predicted lightning strikes to your antenna per year.  For an
antenna at 75 ft in Indiana (50-thunderstorm-days per year), the charts
predict 1 lightning strike per year.  However, if I raise my antenna to 200
ft, the predicted strikes increase to almost 7.

This article points out what should be protected (all the I/O lines) and
why.  We can only assume that the next part will discuss HOW.

It's great to see this subject get some attention in QST!  -Maybe- it will
help dispell some of the myths about lightning protection.  Enjoy!  73