[Towertalk] Lightning Protection by Ron Block in QST!

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Lightning Protection by Ron Block in QST!
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 04:10:36 -0400
At 06:31 PM 5/13/02 -0500, WA9ALS - John wrote:
>It's great to see this subject get some attention in QST!  -Maybe- it will
>help dispell some of the myths about lightning protection.

I agree, as long as the Polyphaser guys acknowledge that most ham
installations do not need to be connected to their antennas 24/7, and that
their solution will not be cost-effective or EFFECTIVE, period, for many of
us.  Unless you know you have an adequately low-inductance ground
connection for your station, all the line protectors in the world will not
protect your equipment against a lightning hit.  I'd much rather disconnect
every conductor outside the house and know I'm safe than gamble on being
able to hold my shack at ground potential through "the big one."

73, Pete N4ZR