[Towertalk] swinging gate and mounts

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] swinging gate and mounts
From: n2mg@eham.net (Mike Gilmer)
Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 09:10:05 -0300

K7LXC wrote:
> Just get an aluminum plate big enough to bolt to the legs and bolt
> the tower to it. W7NI has the Rohn leg U-bolts. Unless it's a real
> small antenna, DO NOT clamp the antenna directly to one leg.

Even if it is small, clamping the antenna to one tower leg will eventually
allow it to rotate in the wind and you'll find it pointing the wrong way.  It's
really tough to get enough grip on a 1-1.5 inch tube - even if one really
cranks down on several u-bolts.

If you didn't design/layout the tower so that one face points conveniently at
your favorite fixed position (say, EU) so that you can capture two legs on a
single plate, I'd recommend you clamp this plate to one leg and then add a
separate brace/arm/bracket to stabilize the boom to another leg of the tower.
Then you will not be relying on the "grip" of any u-bolt to maintain pointing
accuracy.

73 Mike N2MG