[Towertalk] First day at Dayton - Attendance continues to slide

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] First day at Dayton - Attendance continues to slide
From: KI9A@aol.com (KI9A@aol.com)
Date: Sat, 18 May 2002 10:45:57 EDT
In a message dated 5/18/02 9:36:20 AM Central Daylight Time,
k9zm@frontiernet.net writes:

We need the motel/tourism industry to throw some weight around in congress
to get gasoline prices stable at 99 cents per gallon if you want to see
attendance figures go up.

What? I got my driver's license in Feb 1980. I paid $1.05 for a gallon of reg
unleaded at the kickapoo station in Rothschild, WI.  Gas at a buck and a half
a gallon today, 22 years later, is a great deal!

I have noticed a LARGE decrease in attendence at local car "swap meets". 5-10
years ago, they had lots of neat parts, & lots of folks. Today, well, not
nearly as much. I tend to look at EBAY & others as taking a BIG chunk out of
hamfests & such. It isn't gas at a $1.50/gal. Or terrorists.

If you can't afford gas at a 1.50, you most likely can't afford it at a buck.
Say Dayton is 300 miles one way (600 round trip). Your car gets 20 mpg ( most
are better these days!). It costs you about $30 in gas at $1.00/gallon, &
about $45 at a $1.50. WILL 15 BUCKS (or less, if your car gets better than 20
mpg!) REALLY KEEP YOU FROM GOING???

73-Chuck KI9A

multipart/alternative
  text/html