[Towertalk] First day at Dayton - Attendance continues to slide

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] First day at Dayton - Attendance continues to slide
From: BarryS@Core.com" <BarryS@Core.com (Barry Schieferstein)
Date: Sat, 18 May 2002 18:39:43 -0400
I just returned from Dayton and for the second year in a row I didn't buy
anything big (really wasn't looking) but some valid points were made about
prices.  There are some exeptions though.  I ran across an OM selling
1000pf 5kv doorknob caps 2 for $5.  He siad he has had them for a number of
years and has turned down offers to buy the lot because he didn't want to
sell them to someone who was going to resell them for more - his way of
giving back to the ham community.  Anyway, on a antenna/tower related note,
I stopped by the StepIrr antenna Ryder truck on the way out.  I wish I had
found it earlier and had more time to play.  They had the three element
mounted and it looked pretty solid.  It was pretty wild to listen to the
wires move as it tuned.  I got to watch a s9+20 signal go to S6 by hitting
the 180 button.  A gentleman standing there told me he had bought one but
had yet to put it up. He ordered it last year about this time and when it
was time to ship they called and asked him if he wanted it then or if he
would wait until they made some improvements that they wanted to do prior
to shipping.  He decided to wait and received it last fall. I think that
says something about the integrity of the company that they didn't want to
ship a product that they knew they could improve.
73,
Barry KW8W