[Towertalk] Water Stubs of Universal Towers

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Water Stubs of Universal Towers
From: wa2bpe@infoblvd.net (WA2BPE)
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 15:11:52 -0400
When tilting my Universal towers over (up or down), I initially replace the
bolts that will be the pivot points with grade 8 bolts - hardened Allen cap
screws work nicely.  For tilting by hand, anything much over 30' is almost
impossible unless you have some NBA all-stars handy!  In the past, I have used a
22' gin tower with a cable passing over a large (10"dia) "A" pully held on a
plate with pillow blocks placed at the top of the gin tower (temporarily guy it
into position; the base **must** be firmly secured.  An electric winch or a boat
winch (worm drive preferred) secured to ?? (I had a  large tree available) with
3/16 or 1/4" steel cable (not guy wire) then can easily move it up or down.  I
put up a 60' Universal this way *with* antennas attached to the mast but
nested.  Raised mast & installed rotator after the tower was secure.  BTW, I guy
my Universal towers despite any "self supporting" specs - lots of wind on a
hilltop + paranoia insurance.  ;-)  .

Tom - WA2BPE