[Towertalk] cadweld suggestions needed

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] cadweld suggestions needed
From: stevekz9g@speakeasy.net (Steve G.)
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 18:28:46 -0700
Hi Jim,

Here are a couple of obvious suggestions, but some other helpful ones (I hope).

1.  Use the proper size cad-weld form for the wire ground rod sizes you have.
2.  Make sure your rod and copper cable are clean and free of
oxidation.  Use some
light sandpaper and/or steel wool to accomplish this.
3.  Complete the cad-welding on a DRY day with low humidity, otherwise it
might not
be easy to ignite the powder.  I worked for about an hour to ignite weld
several years back
in a foggy environment.  I finally got it...
4.  Take care in making sure the fine powder is placed on top of the coarser
mixture in the cast or form.  This finer stuff is the only powder that
ignites from
the spark.  Without it on top, I just wouldn't know how to safely set off
the cad-weld.
Sometimes the fine power is located under the cap of the mixture container.
5.  Use a good spark producer to ignite the powder, so you can back off as
it ignites.

I'm sure others will have suggestions.  73 and GL