[Towertalk] 'Toes' of a tower concrete base

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] 'Toes' of a tower concrete base
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 23:37:49 EDT
In a message dated 6/28/02 8:18:34 AM Pacific Daylight Time, wa3gin@erols.com
writes:

> My guess is sales of towers were dropping as the cost of concrete went up...
> at
>  todays cost the concrete and digging the hole cost more than the tower!
> Then ad
>  the cost of a climbing belt and gin pole and the little 50ft self
supporting
>  tower becomes a couple thousand dollar project.

    And your point is...?

    This stuff has never been free.

    What does tower sales have to do with concrete cost? What tower sales? To
what market?

    A backhoe is relatively cheap for what it does. Besides the excavation,
for a decent sized hole you also use the backhoe to pick up the couple
hundred pound rebar cage and drop it in the hole. A $200-400 charge is worth
every penny.

    A safety belt (what? no fall arrest harness?) is part of the cost of
being a tower owner. You can buy a new one with positioning lanyard for $75.
Big deal.

    I thought I'd won the lottery when I bought my first tower for $150. It
was a Rohn HBX in sorry shape. By the time I got done with tower, concrete,
antenna, rotator, and cables - my $150 tower was now in the $1100 range. And
this was 25 years ago.

Cheers,
Steve      K7LXC
TOWER TECH -