[Towertalk] double bazooka

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] double bazooka
From: wes@attawayinterests.com (Wes Attaway)
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2002 17:05:42 -0500
I think Tom and others will tell you that the double-bazooka is very lossy.
It has had widespread use over the years, but if you read the literature on
antenna efficiencies you will see that a random length dipole fed with open
wire line (say a 90' or 100' dipole on 80M) will be about 98% efficient as
far as antenna radiation is concerned.  This is way more than a
double-bazooka, based on my memory of previous reading.

I think the double-bazooka gives you wide bandwidth (which some people think
is real important, and might be for certain situations) but it does this at
the expense of higher losses and less efficiency.