[Towertalk] mast disaster avoidance

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] mast disaster avoidance
From: jljarvis@adelphia.net (jljarvis)
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 18:38:43 -0400
YES!  you got it, Chris.

There's a 100 lb vector due to the load, and another due to
the lift.  With ginpoles we know, it doesn't matter how many
ropes and wheels you put in the system---there's still 200 lbs
load on the ginpole, and on the pulley axles connected to it.

The more wheels, the more friction gets added to the system...
but generally, the less the line-load is.

At the end of it, though, there's still 200 lbs imposed on the
ginpole & its pulley axle.

But wait...what Mike IS true, although not with ginpoles I know.

If you had a 2 block pulley at the top of the ginpole, and a 2 block
pulled attached to the load, and you pulled from the load side...you
would divide down the load on the pole.

If you were pulling from the pole side, you'd still have the 100 lb
LIFT component of the load there.  But pulling from the LOAD..the
tower section....looks like it would work, with a 3:1 reduction ratio.
Maybe there's a 4:1 to be had, pulling from the top.  But where you
tie off matters.

Shoot, guys, I'm cooking dinner, here.  The reason I went into marketing
is that I really DO have to draw this stuff to see the details.  Somebody
want to check on this?

My point was:   GET THE TOP OFF.  THINK ABOUT THE LOAD.  YOU CAN'T
MUSCLE IT, SAFELY, IF AT ALL.  I'm not backing off that position.
I haven't seen a ginpole that reduces the load, so this is an academic
discussion.   ((and yes, this was the part of engineering physics I
DID pass!))

And I STILL ask....what is the spec on the ginpole tube?  It's
bearing the load.

Jim/N2EA