[Towertalk] Re: Coax Connector Losses - Does anyone know?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Re: Coax Connector Losses - Does anyone know?
From: n3rr@erols.com (Bill Hider (N3RR))
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 18:44:39 -0400
I've never tinned a PL-259 and never heard of anyone else do it, except
what's been posted today.

I use silver Teflon PL-259 connectors and a Weller D550 soldering gun and
strip the RG-213 properly.  I first solder the center conductor, letting the
solder flow up inside the center conductor tip.  Then I solder the connector
to the shield  making sure the solder flows completely through the holes and
on the "neck" of the PL-259 - where the holes are located.  I roll the
RG-213 on a table so the connector rolls around as I solder.  This allows
the D550 to heat up the connector and the shield and allows the solder to
flow into the holes and onto the hot shield of the RG-213.

Bill, N3RR