[Towertalk] ARRL Insurance

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] ARRL Insurance
From: n2wb@arrl.net (William F. Beyer Jr.)
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 11:08:44 -0400
Jim Idelson wrote:

> Nothing like learning from experience . . .
>
> I have had several major lightning events over the past five years. My
> home-owners policy has a deductible around $500, but it covers everything. You
> don't have to list equipment on the policy in advance. Lightning doesn't
> discriminate between ham equipment and other electronics and appliances found
> in your home. This policy provides for replacement cost reimbursements, and
> the
> adjustor has never had a problem with replacements that might reasonably be
> more costly and up-to-date than the original equipment.
>
> When the dollar amounts start to rise, the insurance company will become
> interested in the potential scrap value of your completely destroyed radio
> equipment. They may ask you to give them the old equipment. But, when you tell
> them of the extremely small market for your radio and the difficulty they will
> have selling it, they might let you keep it for parts.
>
> I've never had outdoor antenna damage - it's always been the electronics and
> computer equipment inside. But, I worry that a claim relating to the tower or
> antennas might surprise the adjustor. So, I have informed the insurance
> company
> of the existence of the tower, and I've shown them the completed building
> permit. This will help to show that the tower and antennas are insured
> property.
>
> How do you get maximum reimbursement for your losses?  By far, the most
> important thing is to MAKE THE ADJUSTOR'S JOB EASY! An insurance adjustor
> spends the morning in the office doing paperwork and his/her entire afternoon
> driving around looking at damaged things - things they don't care about at
> all.
> Every insurance adjustor I've met really looks forward to quitting time. They
> allocate a certain amount of time to every visit. If you can get him out of
> your house early, he can get home early. Keep this in mind all the time.
>
> The adjustor will be looking for a few things during the visit:
> 1.  Evidence of damages and the probable causes,
> 2.  Evidence of your ownership of the damaged property and possibly evidence
> of
> what you paid for it and when, and
> 3.  Evidence of what it will cost to replace or repair the damaged item.
>
> Demonstrating that a device is damaged is important. If there is obvious
> physical damage, make sure it is apparent when the adjustor comes to visit.
> The
> adjustor will usually be carrying a digital camera to take photos of the
> damage. Make that job easy. I have offered my own digital photos, and they are
> often accepted by the adjustor. If the damage can't be seen, then do a
> demonstration. My FT-1000MP had charcoal on the back near the antenna
> connector, and when plugged in, it wouldn't come on at all.
>
> If an item is completely destroyed, you may be able to just say so, or you can
> [...]

Great write-up Jim!
Lots of help for people.
--
*See you in the pileups!

William/N2WB

n2wb at arrl dot net

Unless we stand for something,
we shall fall for anything.
                        --  Peter Marshall  --

*This email is intended only to be read or used by the addressee.
It is confidential and may contain legally privileged information.
If you are not the addressee indicated in this message, or
responsible for delivery of the message to such person,
you may not read, copy or deliver this message to anyone,
and you should destroy this message and kindly notify the sender
by reply email.
Confidentiality and legal privilege are not waived or lost by
reason of mistaken delivery to you.