[Towertalk] cutting a MAST

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] cutting a MAST
From: shr@ricc.net (W0UN--John Brosnahan)
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 20:21:22 -0500
At 04:11 PM 7/22/2002 -0700, you wrote:

>All of this talk about cutting plate got me thinking about a 20 foot steel
>thick wall 2" OD antenna mast that I have in the garage. I need to cut it
>down to two10's. The guy at the hardware store suggested that I rent a "chop
>saw." Is this the best way to do it?

Probably the best way to do it.  Just use a "chop" saw or cutoff saw--
same thing--with a steel cutting (abrasive) blade.   Lots of sparks--but
harmless.  (Although I wouldn't do it outdoors in any states with forest fires
still burning!)

I cut up about thirty 20 ft pieces of 1" solid steel bar into 10 ft guy
rods in a
very short period of time.  Blows right through the stuff.  Does leave a minor
bit of burr--but easy to clean up.

John   W0UN