[Towertalk] single point ground

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] single point ground
From: vk2lee@maxnet.net.au (Lee Noonan)
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 20:36:27 +1000
Tom
My 10m & 15m HF Yagis & 8 element 2m Yagi were hit by Lightning , and I have
just raised My tower with the New Antennas on the top... I have earthed ALL
coaxes at the top of the tower....    [35 feet ] and I am going to earth,
Sorry.. GROUND all the cables before they leave the tower to come to the
house..... [30 feet]  at the house,a plate will be located 10 feet high
where the cables will be grounded to a common single point ground ...  where
they will be able to be disconnected
 .....  there is a ground rod directly below the metal plate..... which will
be connected to ALL the other grounds....  I was also thinking of adding the
metal pipe!!!!!!  (grounded at ONE end) !!!   I did read about it on a few
web sites.....
The Lightning that struck My antennas ended up in the shack... burnt the
back of an antenna switch , where it was grounded to a  rod located under My
desk in the shack...
 Not far from the house, Where all the cables could be disconnected , [but
NOT grounded] a PL259 plug & female bulkhead connector  were melted
together.... My Ground Rod connection to My tower... had a 90 degree bend in
it!!!!  OK I know now!!!   So, looks like I'll be leaving that old piece of
Galvanised pipe on the shed roof.....  Is it necessary to ground the center
of the antenna cables when they are unplugged outside the house?? or just
leave them hanging?
        Much Appreciated ....  Oh! whats an RCS-8V ??   & OK on the
diodes...
Any other suggestions ?        thanks  Tom

Lee Noonan  VK2LEE