[Towertalk] Phillystran Grips

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Phillystran Grips
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 10:44:35 -0400
At 10:20 AM 7/31/02 -0400, K7LXC@aol.com wrote:
>     When I'm erecting a tower, use 3 comealongs and 3 Klein cablegrips to do
>the initial plumb-and-tension when connecting the guy wires.

For a professional,this represents a reasonable approach.  But for the
person putting up one tower, on limited resources, it seems like overkill
to buy 3 cablegrips to use once.  When he was helping me put up my current
tower, W9LT (who is an engineer) tightened a cable clamp on each guy wire
near the bottom end.  That supplied purchase for a rope to be tied to the
guy wire, and the rope was then looped around the anchor rod below the
equalizer plate. We pulled the guys in to 100 lb or so with no difficulty,
and then applied the grips, making sure we had enough turnbuckle travel to
bring things up to the full pretensioning level.

Anything wrong with this approach?

73, Pete N4ZR

Check out the World HF
Contest Station Database at