[Towertalk] Coax opinions

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Coax opinions
From: stevek@jmr.com (Steve Katz)
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2002 16:01:08 -0700
> Steve:
>
> Very interesting! Did this happen only under high power?

        [Steve Katz]  Yes, Kevin, it's a high-power phenomenon, which is
logical since the voltage across the line at 1.5kW (VSWR = 1.0) is 273.9V,
pretty close to the breakdown limit of cellular polyethylene for the
dielectric thickness used.  Obviously, a mismatch antenna condition can make
the situation worse, as can high ambient temperatures or considerable
elevation (reduced barometric pressure).  But I have "flashed" LMR400 at
lower power levels, too -- it takes longer, or more extreme conditions.  As
I said, it's not a "receiving" phenomenon at all.  The same thing
(dielectric breakdown from cable tying) happens with RG8 "foam" coax like
Belden 8214 (one of the very worst for this) and the old Times FM-8 which
was very similar to LMR400 but used only braided shield and no aluminized
mylar film. -WB2WIK/6